Friday, April 1, 2011

Low Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


We just got home from staying in a beach house on the Oregon coast with some good friends.  It was so much fun.  We especially loved sitting in a hot tub and overlooking the beach.  Nice!  We hadn't seen our friends for about 7 months so of course we had to stay up at nights getting our game on.  So as we played games, what else did we do?  We ate cookies...lots and lots of cookies.  So when we got home, I told myself, "No more cookies."  Like I'm a naughty little kid sneaking into the cookie jar, right?  So the first day we are home what do I find myself doing?  Sneaking into the kitchen to make...you guessed it...MORE COOKIES!!!

So I justified myself in making these cookies because they are low fat.  Let me tell you...most low fat cookies are not that great to me.  If I want a cookie, I want the Fatty Daddy style.  But these little morsels are fabulous.  They taste great and have a wonderful texture.  We are really enjoying these.  Definitely some of my favorites, and I don't feel guilty eating more than 1...

Low Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.  Add the egg, followed by the applesauce and vanilla extract.  Stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto baking sheets that are lined with parchment paper.  Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.  Let cool on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely eating a few as your transfer.  :)  (Don't overcook.)

Makes about 30 cookies (roughly 3 Tbls. each).

Serving size: 2 cookies  Calories: 190  Fat: 6.3 g  Protein: 2.6 g  Carb: 34.2 g  Fiber 2.0 g  Sugar 19.3 g

Recipe Source:  Gina's Skinny Recipes

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmm, I don't think anyone could ever tell that these are low fat. They look super tasty. Thanks for linking these up to Sweets for a Saturday.

cocoa and coconut said...

Ah the struggle of resisting sweet treats...
I can't blame you for sneaking back to the cookie jar haha! These look really good and it's a bonus that they are low fat.

Anonymous said...

These look so so good...

I love oatmeal cookies and I love chocolate, this sounds like a win to me!

Thanks for linking on Sweets for Saturday.

(Oh and your blog header is great!)

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

These look way too go to be low fat.

I'd like to invite you to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/31/toffee-snickerdoodle-cookies/

HilaryH said...

These were delicious! And my sweet tooth husband approved :)

Summer Rains said...

These are soooooo good! They are a hit with my boys and husband! Thanks for sharing!

Summer Rains said...

These are soooooo good! They are a hit with my boys and husband! Thanks for sharing!

Summer Rains said...

These are soooooo good! They are a hit with my boys and husband! Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails