Friday, April 13, 2012

Apple Streusel Bread


This bread is absolutely fantastic.  It has just the right amount of apple and the perfect combination of flavors.  We love it.  I love to make bread into mini loaves so I can give some away so I don't eat it all because trust me, I can and will do it.  Be sure if you make smaller loaves to decrease the baking time. 

Apple Bread:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 granny smith apple, peeled and diced

Streusel Topping:
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. To prepare topping, combine flour, granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
3. To prepare bread, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until moistened. Add apples and stir gently to combine.
6. Spoon half of the batter into a buttered 9-by-5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of the topping. Spoon remaining batter into the pan and sprinkle with remaining topping. Finish by sprinkling evenly with brown sugar.
7. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the pan and set on a rack to cool. Makes 10 servings.

Recipe Source:  The Costco Cookbook

4 comments:

carolinaheartstrings said...

That bread looks fantastic! I cannot wait to try the recipe. Come visit us. We have some terrific things to share.

Daniel Bingham said...

Mmm... that looks delicious. I don't normally do fruit breads (something about mixing sweet and savory -- especially with respect to fruit -- has always just disagreed with my palate), but this looks so good that I'm just gonna have to try it.

Christie said...

I made this over the weekend!!! AMAZING!!! My house guests loved it!!

Kim said...

I made this yesterday and ate 1/2 the loaf myself, it's sooooo good!!!! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails