Monday, August 9, 2010

Chris' Outrageous Chocolate Cake from the Cheesecake Factory

All the layers of this heaven sent cake before frosting the edges.

Mmmmmm!!!!!

The frosted edition.

After digging in!

This is a little piece of heaven on earth for me! I love this cake from Cheesecake Factory. Maybe we should call it a big piece of heaven on earth because the cake is huge. It has eight layers. Yes, eight delicious layers. It's actually 4 layers repeated twice. What are these delicious layers you might ask? Here goes: Moist chocolate cake, creamy chocolate chip coconut cheesecake, chewy brownie, and toasted coconut pecan frosting. Oh my mouth is watering! So I searched and searched online for a copycat recipe for this dessert. I couldn't find one much to my dismay! That's when I decided to create my own. I was so happy with how it turned out! Now I don't have to pay $7.50 when I want a piece of this baby. The cake itself is easy to make. It just takes time because you have to freeze and refrigerate parts of it in order to assemble it. It is so worth it though! The cake is very similar to the Cheesecake Factory's. The big difference is that I put buttercream frosting around the edges of mine. The Cheesecake Factory has a different frosting around the outside. The buttercream frosting was fabulous.

Kimmy's Version of Chris' Outrageous Chocolate Cake from the Cheesecake Factory

Ingredients:
Chocolate Cake Layer:
1 Box Mix of German Chocolate Cake
(Plus ingredients to make cake)

Brownie Layer:
1 Brownie Mix
(Plus ingredients to make brownies)

Chocolate Chip Coconut Cheesecake Layer:
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Coconut Pecan Frosting:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cube butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk (adjust to get to the right consistency)

Directions:
1. The Cake Layer
Make cake according to directions on box. Prepare 2 9 inch cake pans by putting wax paper in it and spraying it with cooking spray. Pour half the cake mix into each of the pans. Cook according to box mix for the 9 inch pans. Check with toothpick to make sure they're done. Cool. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight. (You can wrap them in the pans or remove them from the pans and wrap them.)

2. The Brownie Layer
Make brownies according to directions on box. Prepare 2 9 inch cake pans by putting wax paper in it and spraying it with cooking spray. Pour half the brownie mix into each of the pans. Cook for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean at the degree specified on the brownie mix box. Cool. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight. (You can wrap them in the pans or remove them from the pans and wrap them.)

3. The Cheesecake Layer
Preheat oven to 350. Mix together softened cream cheese, eggs, and sugar. Then add the coconut, chocolate chips, and vanilla. Prepare 2 9 inch springform pans by putting wax paper in it and spraying it with cooking spray. Pour half the cheesecake mix into each of the pans. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until middle is set. Remove from oven and let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

4. The Coconut Pecan Frosting Layer
In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. (It should be thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.) Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency.

5. The Buttercream Frosting
Mix all ingredients until light and fluffy. Not too long or it will get too gooey.

Putting it all together:
I froze the cake and brownie layers overnight. The cheesecake was refrigerated overnight. The next day I made both the frostings. I leveled the chocolate cake with a cake leveler. If you don't have a leveler, just eyeball it. The first layer of the cake was the chocolate cake. Next the cheesecake. Then brownie. Then coconut pecan frosting. Repeat the layers: chocolate cake, cheesecake, brownie, coconut pecan frosting. Use the buttercream frosting around the sides. I left the cake out for 1/2 a day so the layers could settle together. Yummy, yummy, yummy in my tummy!

Linked to:  A Themed Baker's Sunday

Recipe Source:  This is my personal creation!

16 comments:

Kerbi said...

That looks so good! Thanks for posting!

The Christensen's said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! How I wish you still lived in Louisville so I could invite myself over for a piece of that! Looks fabulous!!!!

the mortensen's said...

oh girl, that cake looks amazing!!! I will come to Portland just so you can make it for me!

the mortensen's said...

I am going to attempt this beast for Waynes birthday on monday!

Unknown said...

Ah-Mazing! This is one of my favorite desserts from The Cheesecake Factory. I can demolish the entire piece. I shouldn't b/c I feel like Im gonna pop after, but I can stop b/c it's SO good. Totally need to make my own.

Keigh said...

Made this on the weekend for my nephews birthday. It was amazing! Thanks for the recipe, it's a keeper : )

Unknown said...

Mine was not as pretty as yours but it was very yummy...

Anna Cubana said...

Mmmm I gotta try this...

Amy said...

This will be the 3rd time I have made this cake. It is wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Our Cheesecake Factory no longer has the 8-layer version. (it's down to a smaller version with a different name) So I'm glad I found this recipe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ours in Louisville did the same. They took out the delicious ganache and changed the flavor of the cheesecake layer. It should be renamed "Chris' Decent Chocolate Cake." So glad I found this as Cheesecake Factory is now blacklisted.

Anonymous said...

For the buttercream frosting.... you mentioned a "cube". Do you mean one stick (1/2 cup)?

Anonymous said...

Do you use sweetened or in unsweetened coconut flakes?

Vicky said...

Hi,

I just made it! It is sooo delicious! Thank you very much for sharing this recipe!

Anonymous said...

What is a cube of butter?

Ann said...

Yes I was wondering what a cube of butter is. Some say 1/2 cup ( a stick) and some say
2 Tbsp. Can you please say what a cube means for this recipe for the frosting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails