Saturday, February 5, 2011

Baked Cake Donuts


So I recently got a new pan!  What type of pan you may ask?  A donut pan!  Can I just say that I love, love, love it!  We have had so much fun making donuts.  Plus, they are so good.  Oh my, you've got to try these donuts.  These are baked donuts and like my daughter says, they're yummy in the tummy.  Now let's just get this straight if you are expecting a glazed krispy kreme donut, you just ain't gonnna get it.  But these are definitely a tasty alternative.  These chocolate donuts, fabulous!  Top it with coconut, heavenly!  Eating these baked treats saves you tons of fat and calories.  Each donut has approximately 200 calories and only 4 grams of fat.  Yep, that's not much for a donut.  Then you don't have to feel guilty eating 1, 2, 3... : )  (Need I go on?)

I am a complete social eater.  In fact, I've found that food has tons of happy memories for me.  I just love a good meal, good treats, good friends, and havin' a good time.  All things good... The other night we created a donut bar with our friends. You get to choose your flavor of donut, your flavor of frosting, and your toppings.  Another memory created with food, fun, and friends.   

Chocolate Cake Donuts
Makes 6 donuts

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 egg
4 teaspoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 325.  Coat donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.  In small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sugar, egg, butter and vanilla until smooth.  Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until blended and smooth.

3.  Spoon batter into a large resealable plastic bag.  Cut off a corner and squeeze batter into prepared indents, about 2/3 full.  Smooth tops.  Bake at 325 for 13 minutes, until donuts spring back when lightly pressed.  Cool in pan on rack 3 minutes, then carefully turn out directly onto rack to cool.

Vanilla Cake Donuts
Makes 6 donuts

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1 egg
4 teaspoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 325. Coat donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In small bowl, whisk buttermilk, sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla until smooth. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until smooth.

3. Spoon batter into a large resealable plastic bag. Cut off a corner and squeeze batter into prepared indents, about 2/3 full. Smooth tops. Bake at 325 for 13 minutes, until donuts spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on rack 3 minutes, then carefully turn out directly onto rack to cool.

Toppings
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
sprinkles, toasted coconut, mini chips, cinnamon-sugar

1. For powdered donuts:  Place 1/4 cup powdered sugar in a sifter and gently sift over cooled vanilla donuts.  Flip donuts; cover with sugar.

2.  For white-frosted donuts:  In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk.  Stir until smooth.  Dip cooled donuts into bowl and allow excess frosting to drip back into bowl.  Transfer to rack.  Top with sprinkles, coconut or mini chips, if desired. 

3.  For chocolate-frosted donuts:  Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, the cocoa and 2 tablespoons milk.  Stir until smooth.  Dip cooled donuts into bowl and allow excess frosting to drip back into bowl.  Transfer to rack.  Top with sprinkles, coconut or mini chips, if desired.

4.  For drizzle:  Snip small corner off bags of frosting. Decoratively drizzle over cooled donuts.

5.  For cinnamon-sugar donuts:  Toss still-warm vanilla donuts in cinnamon sugar to coat.

Recipe Source:  Family Circle Magazine April 2010

This recipe is linked to:
Sweets for a Saturday #3 hosted by Sweet as Sugar Cookies.
Saturday Swap hosted by Quit Eating Out.
Sweet Tooth Friday hosted by Alli N Son.
Pot Luck Sunday hosted by Mommy's Kitchen.

15 comments:

Jenn Erickson said...

I love baked donuts, but hadn't found a chocolate recipe until now...thank you so much! I'm looking forward to making these soon! Jenn/Rook No. 17

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I love that these are baked. I often crave donuts but don't want to go through the mess of frying them. I will totally be making these.

I'd love to have you share this recipe on Sweet Tooth Fridays. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/03/chocolate-toffee/

tinahead81 said...

oh man!! i need to get a donut pan!! i have to try these!

Laura Jansson said...

Oooh! Can't wait to try these! I need to find a donut pan now!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE donuts... and have been anxious to try a baked donuts recipe. This sounds SO good. And I LOVE the idea of a donut bar. What a fantastic idea!!! Thanks so much for linking this to Saturday Swap!

Berendina Dykema said...

Those donuts looks so yummy and I like that there baked donuts.
Leaving out the deep frying is a plus and I always thought it was a waste of oil that could be used for other treats.

I'll have to look into adding a donuts pan to my baking equipment, its a must for me lol

Ryan and Ashley said...

Those look AMAZING! I have a donut pan and I've never used it. I need to. Maybe I'll have a girl's night donut night. How fun!

Abby said...

Chocolate cake doughnuts?!? I am there! Can't wait to make these myself!

Sheila said...

I just found your blog, thanks to Potluck Sunday on Mommy's Kitchen. I love donuts but I'm a Weight Watcher Lifetimer so can't have many. These sound perfect going to shop for a donut pan tomorrow.

Mike and Kimmy said...

Sheila - I can give you more nutritional info if you need it to count points.

Melissa said...

These look so yummy!

I just found you from Sweet Tooth Friday :)

Miranda | Mangoes and Chutney said...

I was just wondering the other day if I could make my own cake doughnuts - I need to get a doughnut pan asap! Yours look awesome.

lisal said...

The main functions of a kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to complete related tasks such as dishwashing.underground pipe locator

Suzane said...

A pretty important functions of one's kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to accomplish related tasks including dishwashing.underground pipe locator

Suzane said...

so pleasant assortment never seen such uncommon things kitchen cloths. much obliged for sharing this data.whirlpool washer not spinning fast

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails