Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Guest Post: Laura's Rainbow Cake

I am so excited to introduce you to Laura!  Isn't she gorgeous?  I met Laura when we lived in Kentucky.  To know Laura is to love Laura.  She's one of those people who makes you feel like a million bucks because she is so genuine, kind, and all sorts of fabulous.  Plus, she is super talented.  You've got to check out this cake she made.  Here she is...


My name is Laura, and I am flattered and excited that Kim invited me to be a guest on her blog! I'm a stay at home mom to two small kiddos--an adorable and very busy 21 month old son named Dominic, and a beautiful, sweet daughter named Bethany, who just turned 4. This birthday cake was for her special day. The last several months, she has been obsessed with rainbows. She loves to watch the show on PBS called, "The Cat in the Hat Knows a lot about that!" and they have an episode all about rainbows with a cute little song listing all 7 colors. So, this year for her birthday, it was all about rainbows! We had rainbow streamers, balloons that were all of the colors of the rainbow, rainbow colored fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, green grapes, blueberries, and purple grapes), and she even wore a rainbow dress for her birthday party. A bit over the top? Nah! She loved everything about it, and it sure was fun! What was my favorite rainbow thing? The cake of course! I absolutely love making fun and sometimes time consuming cakes for my kids' birthdays. Seeing their reaction to the final product is the best! For the rainbow theme, I found several websites who had ideas on how to bake a rainbow cake, but the blog "One Charming Party" had an idea I liked best.


Here's how I did it:

8 Layer Rainbow Cake:

What you will need:
2 boxes of your favorite brand of white cake
8 colors of food coloring (I use the Wilton brand icing colors. In my opinion, they are the truest & brightest colors)
8 bowls
8" or 9" round pan(s)

Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the two cake mixes according to the directions on the box. Divide the batter into 8 different bowls. I used an overflowing 2/3 cup for each color to make them evenly divided. Add the food coloring to each bowl. With the Wilton icing colors, I used Red-Red, Orange, Lemon Yellow, Leaf green, Royal Blue, Delphinium Blue (this made a great indigo), Violet, and Pink. Grease and flour your pan(s) and line the bottom with wax paper to ensure they will come out of the pan after baking. You will obviously take turns with your pans--unless you happen to have 8 pans! Cook each cake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.  Once the cakes are cooled completely, individually wrap each color and freeze them. This will make it easier to assemble and frost each layer. Once they are all frozen, you can begin to assemble your cake, frosting each individual layer, and then frost the whole cake when all the layers have been frosted and stacked. This makes a fabulously tall cake, but the really fabulous part is when you cut into it! All of the kids at the party were so surprised by the rainbow colors inside of the cake!

The birthday girl with her rainbow cake.

14 comments:

Sweet Seahorse said...

That cake is spectacular! I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea.

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous cake for a birthday. I can't believe how high it is.

Amy Henderson said...

Since there is less batter, I'm assuming each layer bakes for a shorter period of time? How long did you bake them for?

Mike and Kimmy said...

ABH- Great question. I added it to the post. They should cook for about 15 minutes at 350.

Joy said...

Looks wonderful!! I'm your newest follower. http://joy-southernsocialite.blogspot.com/

Rhondi said...

This is an awesome cake! My daughter was looking over my shoulder saying Wow, that's so cool...are you going to make one? Maybe for her bday this summer.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kimmy,
I enjoyed meeting your friend Laura and just love her Rainbow Cake. It is a beautiful cake and looks really delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

ilikeyoursundress said...

I'd really like to make a rainbow cake! Have to invest in a good set of food gels first I think - looks great :)

carolinaheartstrings said...

Wow. What a fantastic cake. Lucky little girl.

Anonymous said...

How fun is this cake? My kids would LOVE this! Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Swap!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations Kimmy & Laura,
You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week, enjoy!

Lisa said...

That rainbow cake certainly caught people's eye. It got the Top Spot for last week's Sweets for a Saturday. Good for Laura!

Kelly said...

Ah! What a beautiful cake! I really need to make one of these. Thanks for posting how you did it!

Jeannie said...

Gorgeous looking cake! Looks difficult to put together!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails