Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Layered Brownie Ice Cream Cake


Ice cream and brownies and cream!  Oh my!!!  This was the hubs birthday cake this year and I must say, it was a winner.  We DEVOURED that baby.  My hubs requested 3 of his favorites things to be in this cake:  brownies, oreos, and ice cream.  This is what we came up with:  An Oreo cookie crumb bottom, a smooth cookies and cream ice cream layer, the ultimate brownie layer, topped by decadent Tillamook Mudslide Ice Cream, with Cool Whip and Oreo to finish her off.  I think it is one of our all time favorite cakes now.  Too bad my birthday isn't 'til November....guess we'll just have to find another reason to make this cake soon.  So the cake is very simple to prepare.  Just takes a little planning with time because you have to do a few things ahead of time and freeze the cake before serving so check out the timing. 

Layered Brownie Ice Cream Cake

Ingredients:
15 Oreo cookies
1-2 tablespoons milk
8-9 ice cream sandwiches
1 pint chocolate ice cream (I used chocolate with a chocolate fudge swirl - Tillamook Mudslide.)
1 pint cookies and cream ice cream
1 brownie mix (plus ingredients to make the brownies)
1 container (8 ounces) Cool Whip

Directions:
1.  Make brownies according to directions on box. Prepare two 8-inch cake pans by putting wax paper in it and spraying it with cooking spray. Pour half the brownie mix into each of the pans. Cook for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean at the degree specified on the brownie mix box. Cool. Cover with plastic wrap and let set overnight or at least a few hours. You only need one pan of the brownies so feel free to eat the other pan while you're making the ice cream cake. ; )
2.  Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line side with waxed paper, using spray to help adhere to pan. Trim paper to height of pan.

3. Finely crush 12 of the Oreos in a food processor. Add milk; pulse just until mixture holds together. Set aside.

4.  Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches.  Cut the ice cream sandwiches in half lengthwise.  Then cut sandwiches in half crosswise (these will be the cake's edge).  Working quickly, stack cut strips on end against side of prepared pan to form the stand up edge of the cake. Spoon cookie crumbs into center of pan; press firmly over bottom. Freeze 1 hour.  Click here for a tutorial with pictures on how to do step 4. 

5.  Remove the ice cream from freezer; let soften for 15 minutes at room temperature. Remove the springform pan with the edges and crumb bottom. Transfer the cookies and cream ice cream into the pan and press down ice cream until level and smooth. For the brownie layer, cut off some of the edge to make it fit into the center of the cake.  When it fits in, fill in any holes with the extra edge pieces.  Press down on any brownie pieces that aren't smooth and even. Next, place the chocolate ice cream on top of the brownie layer and press down until smooth and level. Add thawed Cool Whip, swirling decoratively. Break up remaining 3 sandwich cookies and use to decorate cake. Return to freezer; freeze overnight or at least 5 hours).

6.  To serve, remove side of pan, then waxed paper. Let cake stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes for easier cutting. Slice into wedges and serve.

Inspired by:  Layered Ice Cream Cake

Linked to: Tuesday Night Supper Club, What's Cooking Wednesday, Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design, Your Whims Wednesday, Friday Favorites, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Foodie Friday

22 comments:

Mr. Capoeira Sydney said...

What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

Our Italian Kitchen said...

That looks fantastic! I'm drooling.. Great post! I'm your newest follower!

Julie said...

That looks amazing. We love, love brownies and ice cream at our house so I can't wait to try this! I am your newest follower and would love you to follow me back at The Farm Girl Recipes. Thanks!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Oh my goodness! This looks like it is to die for. I am going to have to save this recipe for a birthday or celebration. I have already added this to my list of features fo next wednesday. Thanks for sharing it.
Kate

carolinaheartstrings said...

That looks like an award winner to me. I can see why it all got eaten. YUM.

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

oh my gosh this looks sooooo delicious. bring me some? haha.

I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-2-and-features.html

Caitlin said...

This looks so good! I want some right now!

yvette said...

With this cake in mind, I'm sure it could be shared in giving everyone a smile on their face of great contentment at any time! A pure chocolote indulgence!Delcious! yvette@twistedvines

Nandita SS said...

Hey Kimmy,

Thanks for stopping by my space. This dessert of yours is amazing!!! Can't help staring at that shot!!! :)

Lindsey said...

This looks AMAZING. I could use a slice of that right now! :) Thanks for the recipe.

Would love for you to join my linky party! :) http://www.inspiringcreationsblog.com/2011/04/friday-favorites-linky-party_14.html

Anonymous said...

I love ice cream pies!! I always get one for my bday but now can pass this recipe along to someone who may make me one...hmmm...who will that lucky person be!
If you get a sec, pop on over to Foodie Friday and link up! Oh, and I found you at Blue Cricket Design. :)

Cooking Creation said...

Drool! This looks amazing!! I make a brownie ice cream cake but it's not nearly as nice as this one! Thanks for sharing :)

Lisa said...

Wow, your cake looks better than anything I could ever buy. Thanks so much for linking it up to Sweets for a Saturday.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Yum, yum! I'm so glad you shared this on Sweet Tooth Friday!

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits said...

Oh WOW this looks incredible! Looove ice cream cake!

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

oh wow, this looks wonderful! mud pie is my fav dessert so i think i would LOVE this!

Unknown said...

this reminds me of summer! this recipe is scrumptious..thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Let's hope someone brings one of these for Easter Dinner (to my house)! :-)

We'd love to invite you to come on by and link it up, if you wish to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS "Easter Cookies & Treats"

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-25.html

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

mmmh. mh mh mh mh. haha. looks delisch!!!

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again this week :)

Abby said...

I am getting ready to make this for my son's birthday tomorrow!!! Is it hard to cut through the layer of brownie? I was wondering if all of the ice cream smooshes out when you try to cut it and if a chocolate cake layer would cut easier (although I think brownie woudl taste the best :) Thaks

Mike and Kimmy said...

Hi Abby - No it isn't hard cutting through the brownie layer at all. In fact, I didn't notice a difference when cutting through the ice cream compared to the brownie. And no, the ice cream doesn't come out all over. The ice cream sandwiches on the sides are great for holding everything together. I usually just take the cake out about 10 minutes before serving and then slice it. Whatever you don't use, cover and put back in the freezer. This is one of our all time favorite desserts. Hope you enjoy it.

Leslie said...

Oh wow!!! I just found your blog and the picture of this amazing cake just stood out to me on your sidebar! My husband would l-o-v-e this cake, too! Oreo and brownies are about his favorite things!

I will definitely be back here to see what else you're making!

~Leslie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails