Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lemon Roasted Broccoli


Let me preface this recipe by saying that the hubs hates broccoli.  Even my daughter refuses to eat, "The trees..."  When I made this recipe, the hubs said, "Congratulations honey!  You just made broccoli edible."  Then, I saw him, and I kid you not, snitch a piece of broccoli off of the pan.  What the?  What's happening in my house?  My husband who eats Captain Crunch, Lucky Charms, or Frosted Flakes for breakfast every morning, snitching broccoli?  Either the world has come to an end or this broccoli is ridiculously good.  This is DEFINITELY a great way to eat broccoli. 

Roasted Broccoli

Ingredients:
1-2 heads of broccoli
4-5 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
about 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 medium lemon
zest of half of a lemon
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil. Wash your broccoli and dry completely. (It is essential that the broccoli is dry to crisp correctly.) Cut the broccoli into medium sized florets. Place broccoli on foil in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil.  Toss this around. Sprinkle broccoli with lemon zest and squeeze the juice of half your lemon over broccoli. Add salt, pepper and chopped garlic and toss this all around getting everything well coated. Roast in oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. The broccoli should get crispy in spots and be a dark green color. You'll see it start to turn dark brown in spots and this means its getting good, really good.

Once the broccoli is fork tender and crispy to your liking take it out.  Squeeze the other half of the lemon all over the broccoli if desired. Sprinkle grated Parmesan over broccoli and let the heat from the broccoli melt it slightly.  Remember the broccoli is going to cook down so it may look like a lot initially but once it's roasted it will be about half the amount.

Recipe Source:  My friend Brook adapted this recipe from Ina Garten

Linked to:  Full Plate Thursday, Friday Food, Potluck Sunday

2 comments:

carolinaheartstrings said...

It looks ridiculously good. I am giving this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kimmy,
I almost have to have lemon on my Broccoli when I eat it, so I will love this recipe. I haven't tried to roast it but it would be really good. Great idea and great recipe! Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails