Friday, January 28, 2011

Texas Sheet Cake


So if you've never had Texas Sheet Cake before it is to die for!  It is a cross between chocolate cake and brownies to me.  I like both, but Texas Sheet Cake, I love.  They appear on the plate like any normal frosted brownie.  In fact, you may even think it looks (should I saw the words) store bought.  But once you put one of these delectable babies in your mouth, you'll just fall into a deep chocolate coma of delight.  You will want to invite people over because this recipe makes a whole cookie sheet full and trust me, you will be tempted to eat one, and then another, and before you know it, you wonder who snuck into your house and ate your delicious dessert.  I also posted this recipe at Sweets for a Saturday hosted by Sweet as Sugar Cookies.  (There are so many delicious looking desserts on there.)

Texas Sheet Cake

3/4 pound butter or margarine (3 cubes)   Can you already tell why these are so delicious?  ; )
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa

Put the above in pan and bring to a boil.

Add:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar

Mix them together first, and then add to above.

Add:
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda

Mix well and bake in a 17 1/4 x 11 1/2 x 1 inch cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).

Near the end of the baking time, make the icing and put on brownies as soon as they come out of the oven. 

Icing:
1/4 pound (1 cube) butter or margarine
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa

Bring barely to a boil.  Take off the stove.  DO NOT OVERCOOK!

Add:
1 pound bag of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Frost brownies as soon as they come out of the oven.  Put the brownies in the refrigerator to cool.

Recipe Source:  My Momma!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

That frosting really makes your cake look tempting. I think if I was a kid, I'd have had trouble resisting sticking my finger in it for a quick taste. I have a linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up.

Nisa Homey said...

Hi there first time here...I hopped to ur space from Lisa's linky party....that cake is looking YUM with its fudge....glad I found ur space...do visit me.

Manu said...

Foud you by Lisa's link too and I'm so glad!
Your cake is amazing! Mostly the icing! I've never made it with powered sugar, I think that's why it allways get too sticky... Thank you for sharing!

Rochelle said...

Thank you for these amazing recipes! Delish!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails