So my baby girl turned 3 yesterday! I can't believe it! She's 3 already. I remember puking my guts up with her all 9 months. Yes, that's right, all nine. She was worth it though and now she's 3! So we definitely had to have a special cake this year. Last year, we did a Barbie cake and caterpillar cake. The year before was a rubber ducky cake. This year was an ice cream cake with hamburger cupcakes and fries. The ice cream cake turned out sooooo good. Three different flavors of ice cream with ice cream sandwiches around the edges on top of an Oreo crust...HELLO...how can it not be good. We also made these hamburger cupcakes and fries which are probably one of the cutest things I have ever laid my eyes on. It's so cute, you almost can't eat it...ALMOST...
Here's the little cutie with her ice cream cake. Isn't she a doll?
Layered Ice Cream Cake
15 Oreo cookies
1 tablespoon milk
8-9 ice cream sandwiches
1 pint chocolate chunk ice cream
1 pint cookies and cream ice cream
1 pint strawberry ice cream
1 container (8 ounces) Cool Whip
1. Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line side with waxed paper, using spray to help adhere to pan. Trim paper to height of pan.
2. Finely crush 12 of the Oreos in a food processor. Add milk; pulse just until mixture holds together. Set aside.
3. Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches.
Cut the ice cream sandwiches in half lengthwise.
Then cut sandwiches in half crosswise (these will be the cake's edge).
Working quickly, stack cut strips on end against side of prepared pan to form the stand up edge of the cake. FYI - these little babies melt fast...really fast.
Spoon cookie crumbs into center of pan; press firmly over bottom. Freeze 1 hour.
4. Remove all 3 flavors of ice cream from freezer; let soften for 15 minutes at room temperature. Remove the pan with the edges and crumb bottom. Transfer the chocolate chunk ice cream into the pan and press down ice cream until level and smooth. Repeat with the cookies and cream ice cream and the strawberry ice cream. Make sure all layers are level. Add thawed Cool Whip, swirling decoratively. Break up remaining 3 sandwich cookies and use to decorate cake. Return to freezer; freeze overnight.
5. To serve, remove side of pan, then waxed paper. Let cake stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes for easier cutting. Slice into wedges and serve.
Recipe Source: adapted from Family Circle Magazine September 2009
Here's the hamburger cupcakes and fries we made. Oh my cuteness! Go to Bakerella to make these. She has the best directions on how to do it! She even gives you a templates for the fry holder, tissue paper, and the little boxes you put them in.