2 CUPS FLOUR
1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1/4 TEASPOON SALT
1/2 CUP BUTTER, SOFTENED
1 CUP SUGAR
2 LARGE EGGS
1 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE
2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
2 GRANNY SMITH APPLES, PEELED AND CHOPPED
2 TABLESPOONS FLOUR
2 TABLESPOONS GRANULATED SUGAR
1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
1 TABLESPOON BUTTER
2 TABLESPOONS BROWN SUGAR
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. To prepare topping, combine flour, granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
3. To prepare bread, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until moistened. Add apples and stir gently to combine.
6. Spoon half of the batter into a buttered 9-by-5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with half of the topping. Spoon remaining batter into the pan and sprinkle with remaining topping. Finish by sprinkling evenly with brown sugar.
7. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the pan and set on a rack to cool. Makes 10 servings.