Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rice Krispies Ice Cream Dessert


In honor of Valentine's Day, I had to repost one of our all time favorite desserts.  This dessert is fantastic!!!  A smooth, velvety vanilla ice cream, sandwiched between a sweet, semi-crunchy crust topped by refreshing raspberries.  Oh my!  Seriously, it will make you fall in love again, and again, and again.  You'll be sneaking into the freezer to get another bite only to meet your significant other there doing the same thing.  See...it will make you fall in love again.  It is bite after bite of pure delight.  It is really simple to make, but is the perfect dessert for big parties or just for a quiet night at home.

Rice Krispies Ice Cream Dessert

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups brown sugar
3 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 quarts vanilla ice cream
*1 package strawberry Danish Dessert (It's much better than the raspberry flavored.)
12-16 oz. bag frozen raspberries (thawed and drained, reserve drained juice)

Directions:
1.  Mix together the Rice Krispies and the chopped pecans in a medium sized bowl.  Set aside.

2. Mix together the melted butter and the brown sugar in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Add the Rice Krispie/pecan mixture into the saucepan.  Mix and cool.

3.  After this has cooled, put half of the mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 pan and spread evenly. Put the vanilla ice cream on top of the Rice Krispie layer. Spread ice cream evenly. (You may want to let the vanilla ice cream sit out for about 10 minutes so it is easier to work with.)  Put remainder of Rice Krispie mixture on top of ice cream. Cover well and freeze.

Topping:
Make up Danish Dessert as directed on package for fruit sauce except substitute some of the water with the juice from the thawed berries. Allow the topping to cool then add the thawed raspberries and mix well. Add this topping to pieces of dessert just before serving. (Don't freeze the topping because it gels and crystallizes.)

Recipe Source:  My Momma-in-Law

*If you can't find Danish Dessert, use this recipe to create Homemade Raspberry Topping.

Homemade Raspberry Topping
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 (3 oz.) package raspberry flavored gelatin
3 Tbsp. cornstarch

In medium saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil.  Mix jello with cornstarch and gradually add to boiling mixture.  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until mixture is clear and thickened slightly.  Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.  Cool completely and mix in raspberries.  (Do not use any of the reserved juice in this recipe.) 

Linked to:
This Week's Cravings hosted by From My Tiny Kitchen
Sweets for a Saturday #4 hosted by Sweet as Sugar Cookies
Sweet Tooth Friday hosted by Alli 'n Son
Potluck Sunday hosted by Mommy's Kitchen

12 comments:

Abby said...

I've never heard of danish dessert before. Where should I look for it? In the baking aisle next to the muffin mixes?

Mike and Kimmy said...

Hey Abby! It should be by the pudding and jello mixes. It is in a box like jello, but taller than a jello box.

SnoWhite said...

What a fun treat -- I can see why I'd be sneaking back for seconds :)

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks for linking up to THIS WEEK's CRAVINGS! I think I may have to try this dessert soon (and maybe with Cherries) YUM!

Meg Luby said...

this looks SO SO good! where should i get the danish dessert topping? yummmmmmmmmmmm! thanks for sharing!
-meg
@ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Mike and Kimmy said...

Thanks for visiting Meaghan! You should be able to find the Danish Dessert in any local grocery store. It's usually by the pudding and jello.

Desi said...

I saw this over at Sweets for a Saturday and had to check it out, I love rice krispies and the picture was calling my name! Glad I found your blog! I am your newest follower :)

Check out my blog and follow back if you like - http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

Abby said...

Hi Kimmy!
I am finally getting a chance to make this! I asked at my grocery store (the person working in the aisle with the jello & pudding) and he nor the other 2 empolyees he asked had ever heard of Danish Dessert? Do you have any recommendations for a subsitution?
Thanks!

Mike and Kimmy said...

Abby- I'm so sorry you can't find Danish Dessert. I'm working on a substitution for you. :)

HeatherAnn said...

I have tried this before and have been looking for the recipe. It was perfect!! Thanks for sharing.

Amapaints said...

My mother used to make this and it was our favorite dessert. My recipe for this is on a well-worn
recipe card, so I'm very glad to have this beautiful copy! Thank you. Your blog is so interesting
and filled with good recipes and information.

dailyupdate said...

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.
রসগোল্লা বানানোর রেসিপি

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails