Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Oatmeal Crumb Topping


There is nothing like a sweet, warm, fresh berry pie!  A la mode this little baby and you've got yourself a completely fantastic dessert.  This pie was so easy to make and tasted so, so good.  I just love rhubarb desserts!  So I do have a tip on using rhubarb that my mom gave me which I love.  Any of you had the problem with rhubarb being too crunchy or hard for the dessert after it is cooked?  Now, thanks to my mom, I always pre-cook the rhubarb before I put it in the pie or any dessert.  I cook it in the vegetable steamer in a pan for 6 minutes until it is softened.  I've found that if I do this, the rhubarb ends up soft and perfectly blended in with the dessert.  Ya know what I'm sayin'?  Cooking it before hand has been a perfect solution for me. 

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Oatmeal Crumb Topping

Ingredients:
Pre-cooked Pie Shell

Pie:
2 cups strawberries, sliced
3 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/4" pieces
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

Topping:

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons oatmeal (any type but instant)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions: 
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2.  Fill a medium pot with a little bit of water (just enough to steam the rhubarb).  Place a vegetable steamer inside the pot.  Put sliced rhubarb in vegetable steamer, cover with lid, and steam rhubarb for 6 minutes or until tender. 

3.  In a large bowl, mix together the rhubarb, sliced strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch.  Mix until well blended.  Pour the filling into the pre-cooked pie crust. 

4.  Make the crumb topping: In a large mixing bowl, combine all the topping ingredients except the butter. Cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender or two butter knives until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.  Spread the crumbs over the top of the pie filling. 

5.  Put foil around the edges of the pie crust so that the edges don't overcook.  Cook the pie on the center rack for 45-60 minutes at 400 or until the crumbs are a deep golden brown.  (My oven cooks hot and was done at 45 minutes maybe even less.)

6.  Now cut yourself a monstrous piece of warm pie, load it with ice cream, and enjoy!  ****Kimmy's disclaimer--Doing this everyday is not good for your diet.  There....now I've cautioned you. 

Recipe:  My little creation

Linked to:  Made it on Monday, Full Plate Thursday, Sweets for a Saturday

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This makes me want to make another one up right now! :)

Thanks for linking it up to Made it on Monday!

carolinaheartstrings said...

That pie looks so tasty. I am going to the farmers market and get everything I need and bake away.

Unknown said...

Oh so glad you linked up!

I hope you join in often!

Olivia Barney said...

Yummy, my mouth is watering. I just love rhubarb too, so I guess we are two peas in a pod!!

Miz Helen said...

Kimmy, I have always loved the Strawberry, Rhubarb combination for a pie. Your recipe looks delicious.
Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and I look forward to seeing you again real soon.
Have a great week end!
Miz Helen

Patty said...

I love strawberry rhubarb pie! This looks fantastic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails